WGBA Volunteer Opportunities in 2013
The following committees are opportunities for you to get involved with WGBA's mission of supporting ecologically sustainable practices in Wisconsin's built environment. If you don't see something that sparks your interest, contact us about starting a new committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Don't forget to fill out a volunteer application first. Note: Volunteers must be WGBA members to join a committee. Not a member? Sign-up online here.
- Regional Leadership Committees: The WGBA Chapter has established Regional Committees to serve four specific regions of Wisconsin: Southeast, Southwest, Northeast and Northwest. Each of these Regional Committees acts as a local conduit to the state WGBA chapter primarily planning and implementing events such as educational programs, networking events, service projects and tours to engage, educate and grow the membership. Regional Committees may be called upon to participate in major WGBA Chapter events, including conferences, major educational events, fundraising, or awards programs.
- Advocacy: This committee’s charge is to advance green building in Wisconsin by equipping our members and stakeholders with strategic, constructive ways to voice and act on their support. The committee facilitates and promotes stakeholder involvement, legislative outreach, strategic green building initiatives and green building incentives, policy and code advancement. Specific initiatives are undertaken annually. Outreach to policymakers and benchmarking existing building are 2013 campaigns.
- Membership Committee: This organizational committee works to recruit and engage a diverse community of individuals interested in advancing the principles of sustainable design, development, operations and maintenance across the built environment. Recruiting, maintaining and reviving relationships within the community is the basic charge.
- Marketing Committee: This committee is responsible for the collaborative development of the organizations marketing and branding strategy and maintaining the consistency of WGBA’s public image. The marketing committee, in coordination with the Board and Chapter staff, develops and assists with the execution of an annual marketing and implementation plan that meets the goals and objectives of the Board's strategic plan in support of WGBA's vision, mission and aims.
- Green Schools: This committee is part of a national USGBC movement to “green schools for everyone within this generation”. The committee works to drive change in how we design, construct and operate our schools and campuses so they will enhance student-learning experiences. A top priority includes USGBC’s Green Apple Day of Service –a new national campaign for this committee. Members should be ready to start service projects in their local schools.
- Emerging Professionals: This new committee is a USGBC national initiative and works to bring new professionals into the Wisconsin green building network. Emerging Professionals (EPs) are students and young professionals dedicated to becoming and recruiting the future leaders of the green building movement through opportunities for leadership, education, networking and design competitions.
- Education: This group works to identify topics of interest to professionals and the community at large related to sustainability in the built environment. Creating class offerings and vetting instructors are the chief charges of this committee. Classes could include but are not limited to LEED exam prep, professional credentialing maintenance, and general community outreach.
- Development Committee: This committee’s overall role is to participate in the coordination of recruitment and retention of sponsors and other sources of income for the Chapter, including business sponsors, grants, and individual donations. The committee works with the Board of Directors and the Executive Director to develop and implement a fundraising and sponsorship plan consistent with WGBA’s overall strategic plan and budget.
Please email your completed application to email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering in any of the above areas.
The 2012 SE2 Volunteers at UW Milwaukee on September 28, 2012